Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My final post

I chatted with a friend recently about how "Nesting in Skyscrapers" is perhaps a misnomer for my blog. 

If I seriously examine my life in Hong Kong, I see that I didn't really "nest" here. "Perch"? Maybe. "Roost"? Possibly. 

But did I put down roots and really embrace every aspect of my life in Hong Kong? Probably not.

You see, I always knew it would be a temporary abode for our family. 

So I have some regrets about not trying harder to learn the language, make friends with more local people, taste new foods, visit unusual places, etc. 

However, 900 posts must count for something! It certainly felt like our life here was jam-packed with adventures and fun. I made some dear friends here and am very proud of the work I did with the Bridges program at ICS. 

And although it sometimes felt like an abatross around my neck, I am very pleased to have this blog as a record of our four years here in Hong Kong. I even have plans to transform some of it into a photo book for our family.

So thank you to those loyal readers who wrote encouraging comments on my posts, especially the Luptons, the Peets, Ali Federwitz, Sarah Sweeney, Donna Eyres, and family members.

To all other readers, perhaps you are in a position of trying to discover the will of God for your life and making your "nest" in it. I will leave you with the beautiful lyrics to one of Chris Tomlin's songs.

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

And nothing formed against me shall stand
You hold the whole world in Your hands
I'm holding on to Your promises
You are faithful
You are faithful

I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
 

Love and hugs, from Renee (For all the Hong Kong Harveys)




July 2009


June 2013

11 comments:

  1. Oh Renee, we have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and journeying with you! I am a little teary now reading the last post! We will continue to pray for you as you holiday and then as you resettle in NSW (if only it were WA!). Take care friends! Leonie. xx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksfor sharing the ride with us...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you start a new blog, or change the name of this one. I have really enjoyed keeping up with you, your kids and your crazy adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! :( I was wondering what your blog would be called now. I was really looking forward to reading all about your Australian adventures (as were the girls who read every post too!) Have a happy holiday in the States. How fast has the last 4 years flown!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. 900 posts!!!That is unbelievable.I know that it was a difficult task at times but certainly I appreciated every word and every photo.
    Thank you for such an amazing effort!
    I love you Renee,I love you all xxxxx M

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed logging in from time to time to see what you and family have been up to and hope you keep a blog again of your new adventures! All our best wishes and blessings on the transition - you'll be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 900 posts! That is an awesome effort Renee and one I have truly appreciated! Thank you so much for going to all the effort of keeping me, and all your readers, up to date with the goings on of the Hong Kong Harveys! Words can't describe how excited I am that in a matter of weeks we will be living only an hour apart!
    Super excited!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Renee & Craig, The thing I have missed most with you leaving Perth was your practical and helpful parenting advice and role modelling with your own little blessings. Your blog has been one way to continue that example and I have been blessed to see you guys continue to demonstrate wisdom in the way you promote the value of family to your kids. Many times throughout the years but particularly recently with the way you have prepared J,K&T to remember HK as they look forward to Australia. All the best for your holiday and move, look forward to catching up with you when the opportunity next presents itself!! Craig L.
    P.S. Keen to see Keegan play at the WACA one day soon too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Renee I have loved reading along and seeing Hong Kong through your eyes. I'm sorry I never got a chance to say bye to you. Huge blessings on you and your family! Please let me know of you continue blogging on Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been lovely reading your blogs - amazing effort - 900!!!!!WOW!!!! Hope you continue blogging - it has been fascinating:) God bless to you all

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! End of an era!! Now I'm afraid we'll never see you guys again!

    ReplyDelete