Monday, June 7, 2010

Class pet

 I had a little turtle
And he lived in a box.
He swam in the water
And he climbed on the rocks.

He snapped at a minnow.
He snapped at a flea.
He snapped at a mosquito.
And he snapped at me.

He caught the minnow.
He caught the flea.
He caught the mosquito.
But he didn't catch me!


This weekend Jemilla was so excited as it was her turn to bring home the Grade Two class pets: turtles. Thank goodness she also brought a laminated sheet of instructions for feeding and caring for them, as my knowledge of turtles is pretty much limited to the children's rhyme above!



Jemilla chose to put the turtle tanks in our lounge room by a window. They have been objects of fascination all weekend long for the three children.



This is the turtle food, tiny pellets made from fish, shrimp,soybeans, yeast, vitamins and minerals.



Feeding time, turtles!



This turtle sometimes tried to snap at Jemilla's finger.



And sometimes it did funny stretching exercises on the rock. Can you see the red on the side of its head?



From Jemilla's journal: "On Thursday I got the turtles. They are very nice. Sometimes I pick them up and they try to run away. Daddy held one once. He was so scared! He was glad when it was over. I like them so, so, so, so much! I want to keep them forever. Sometimes they tickle me. One just puts its head, arms and legs inside its shell. I love turtles!"







2 comments:

  1. That looks like a good pet for the Harveys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping animals in bad conditions does not seem to me to be a good way to teach children. Those turtles are in tiny containers with barely any water at all and without proper lights ( UV light does not pass through glass and plastic and so the turtles are not getting any benefit from being by the windows). Hopefully the turtles weren't kept this way for long.

    ReplyDelete