Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cold snap

Today was quite cool compared to the weather we've experienced in Hong Kong thus far. At 9 o'clock this morning it was around 18 degrees Celsius in Tai Po.

Now Chinese people, it seems, are notorious for dressing themselves and their children in layer upon layer of clothes to ward off a chill. After dropping the two older kids at school, I went for a walk with Tirzah in her stroller and got many an evil eye from the older women we passed in the street for apparently under-dressing my baby in such wintry conditions. One wizened old lady pointed at Tirzah's bare arms and muttered to me crossly in Chinese. Another bravely stepped out of her market stall and told me it was "too cold for baby today". So I explained to her that we were really enjoying the cool breeze and the chance to turn off the air conditioner, that we loved the reduced humidity, and that today's weather wasn't particularly cold by Australian standards.

No, I'm kidding. I just smiled and nodded and kept walking for about ten blocks without breaking a single drop of sweat. And that's a record for us here in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment